Hi, my name is Rebecca, and I am a control freak.
("Hi Rebecca," murmur the other control freaks in empathy.)
I have indeed come to this conclusion: it's difficult for me to give up control. I realized this when my 8th graders went to Horizon Elementary to give anti-bullying presentations...without me. It's not that they needed me for anything; they had designed every aspect of their presentation, right down to the technology needed. I had no hand in anything they created. So why would they need me to go along, right?
Yet there I was on Tuesday morning, feeling the first frantic wings of a panic attack fluttering somewhere between my heart and my stomach. And the result? Every group did a fabulous job! Sure, they probably made mistakes, but they covered them and improvised when needed to ensure a success.
I breathe a bit easier now, which is necessary considering the multitude of "projects" my students have moved on to. Whether it's the Krispy Kreme debacle, the puppy mill investigation, or the food drive, I have learned to take a deep breath, count to three, and let go. Because every time I give my students the chance the solve the problem, they step up and get it done. Kudos, kids!
Haha, nice Mrs. Reagles; but don't worry I can be a control freak sometimes too.
ReplyDelete