The Waukesha School District has created a new school, one that specializes in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (hence the name STEM). While I certainly applaud all efforts to enhance education, there are several aspects of this new school that do not sit well with me.
First is the idea that only this school will focus on science, technology, and math. Let's face it: if the program idea is a good one, then shouldn't it be pilotted at all schools? Even if the district chose to pilot the program in, say, fifth grade only, all fifth-graders would then have access to the same standards of education.
Access is my second concern. While all students in Waukesha were welcome to apply to the STEM school, parents were required to provide their own transportation. I understand; after all, it would be entirely too difficult and expensive to bus from all areas of the city. However, this transportation provision now limits which children have the ability to attend the STEM school. My husband and I both work; we count on the school bus to bring our daughter home from kindergarten every day. She is inherently disqualified from attending the STEM school since there is no bus and I cannot be there at 3:25 to pick her up.
So who can send their students to the STEM school? Families in which a person either works from home or is a stay-at-home parent. Working families that can afford to pay a local day care for before and after school care, including the transportation to school. Now, aren't these also your more affluent families? I hope you see my point.
I would be interested to see both the demographics and the socioeconomic levels of students at the STEM school. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but logic tells me that these students come from affluent, supportive families. What's wrong with that? Nothing really...except that the district is giving well-off students a greater educational opportunity instead of creating programs that target students in greater need of opportunity.
Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope that, if it's successful, the STEM program expands to all schools in Waukesha. I hope, as a community, that we give all of our students the same access to a great education. I hope that the STEM program is about opening doors for everyone...but I worry about the doors that have already been quietly closed.
No comments:
Post a Comment