In January, I was a non-runner. Seriously, my record for jogging on the treadmill was three minutes -- and even that was rough!
Then I joined the Beginners Running Club, met MOM23JS, and was inspired to train for my first 5K run. This was an incredible challenge for me, the non-runner.
Three months later, I found myself at the American Cancer Society run/walk in Kenosha, Wisconsin, pinning a number to my shirt, and shivering in the harsh spring winds. I was the only member of my team who planned to run the entire 5K, and it was tempting to simply join the walkers and chat my way through. But I toughed it out.
When the airhorn blew to signify the start of the run/walk, I realized that I should have moved to the front of the crowd. Oops. I politely maneuvered to the outside of the walking group and set up my pace. Within the first minutes, I left behind the walkers and fell into a good jogging pace.
Looking ahead of me, I found a woman in white hat and matched her pace. This worked for the first mile...and then she started walking. Darn it! Okay, found another one: this girl wore a bright pink hoodie. I paced behind her for another seven minutes or so...and then it happened again. As the wind picked up, the speedy runners became joggers and the joggers became walkers. And yet, I plodded on with my slow and steady pace. Sometimes the wind was so strong that it felt like I was hitting a brick wall. Twice, I had to give in and walk for a minute's relief. Then back to my steady pace.
Finally, I rounded the last section of the lake and could see the timer a short distance ahead of me. In an attempt to shave a few seconds off my time, I picked up the pace. The other runners who had finished were cheering us on for the last section, and those cheers filled me with a new burst of energy. I crossed the finish line just as the clock hit 36:00, elated to be a runner.
Good for you! I like how you step in and out of the role of relating the story, and relating your accomplishment of the goal, almost like two voices at once. Congratulations on hitting your goal!
ReplyDeleteFor a run in Door County I ran 27:36 minutes for Five Kilometers and had to walk part of it because of insects in my face. Good job accomplishing your goal and besting my moms time.
ReplyDelete