Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Request

Author's note: This is an example of using writing skills in real life. Notice what I've done to link my introduction and conclusion. I'd like feedback on what you think the purpose of the piece is. What does it do for you?

Dear Neighbor,

My most memorable moment from last Christmas was not the melee of gift-opening on Christmas morning, nor the quiet Christmas Eve by the fire anticipating the excitement of the next day. Instead, it was the moment that a mother grasped my arm in her warm living room on a cold December Tuesday and said, “Thank you. Thank you so much. You don’t know how much this helps.” She was referring to the presents I had just delivered to her family of five on behalf of our neighborhood, and I have to say, this moment defined the holiday season for me…and for all of us.

For the past three years, our neighborhood has united to sponsor a Waukesha family at Christmastime. Last year, we collected over $420, enough to sponsor two different families. With your generosity, seven children had gifts to open on Christmas morning.


This year we have another family of three children: a girl, age 13; a boy, age 9; and another girl, age 4. Our goal is to collect $200 to buy these children gifts for Christmas. If we are fortunate enough to go over our goal, then I will call to sponsor another family as well.


You can help our sponsored family by saving up your loose change. Children from our neighborhood contact families will stop by your house to collect your donation. If you will not be home, you may choose to leave your donation between your front doors or drop it off at the Reagles home by Sunday, Dec. 11. We will gratefully take any donation, from a handful of coins to larger bills of your choice.
And thank you. Thank you so much. I hope you realize how much you help.

No comments:

Post a Comment