Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Countdown

Two small children in my home have interior Santa countdown clocks, perpetually winding down to the magic of glittering presents and treasure-filled stockings. Their eyes widen with innocent excitement, searching the falling snow for the light of Rudolph's nose in the distance.

I remember that magic, that innocence, that wonder of waking on Christmas Day to a mountain of gifts piled high by the tree. I remember flannel nightgowns, mugs of hot cocoa, and letters to Santa, longer each year as I learned to elaborate my wishes. Memories of every perfect Christmas, ones that my own children create in their hearts this year and next.

3 comments:

  1. That is funny, when I was younger I love Christmas. I always was hyper and ran as fast as I could. I love christmas. And in 2nd or 3rd grade we made raindeer food that would bring raindeer to my grandmas house and they came.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you say that Tanner when I was younger I to made reindeer food but I through the reindeer food in my front yard and the reindeers ate it. I to was hiper cristmas morining I would wake up early in the morning because I was excited but we would leave a note to santa adn he would read it and make a mess out of it! IT WAS SO FUNNY! Also I enjoyed seeing presents under the cristmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it was the long car ride home from my grandparents house in Illinois searching the sky for a red nose never getting board and the chaotic house filled with 45 people laughing and catching up.

    ReplyDelete