Monday, February 1, 2010

On Ansel Adam's "Grand Central Station 1934"




Like fingers of God, rays of light point to the past.
Travelers caught in one tranquil moment
before the rush of passengers and trains and unstoppable time.
They wait, breath held, for the decades to sweep by,
wait just outside the spotlight's ring.
Ordinary people with their own dreams and heartaches,
their own anticipation, their own lives stretched out before them.
Frozen in this glimpse forever, both important and forgotten.
One moment touched by light, then turned to shadow.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Mrs. Reagles; I especaily liked the last line, "One moment touched by light, then turned to shadow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this piece. As I am a Christian, enjoyed that you linked it to church and God. But my all time favorite line was the first, "Like fingers of God, rays of light point to the past."

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read it, I really felt like I was in the picture, I felt as they say "within it".

    ReplyDelete