Monday, March 21, 2011

An Afternoon with the Dads

My son Jack was invited to his first birthday party this weekend. His tiny classmate celebrated her fourth birthday at a McDonald's play land, and she was quite the princess with her hot pink ruffled tunic and printed tights.


When I arrived, I noticed that I was the only mom there amidst six or seven dads. For a moment, I felt a twinge of regret that my husband hadn't come in my place; he probably would have enjoyed a "dad day" at McDonald's. After all, we're in the season of March Madness; between that and the NFL issues, there's plenty for guys to talk about. Instead, I would have to hold my own. I rallied my ESPN knowledge and dove in.

That's when it hit me. Not all of these guys were dads. They were friends of the family. Friends of the dads. The two dads of the little birthday princess. That's right: two dads.

Okay, that changed things. I was not, after all, in the midst of an ESPN panel. Instead, I was able to discuss potty training, roller skating, and deals at the Gymboree store. The afternoon was just like any other play date with the moms of my neighborhood. And why not? We were just parents hanging out while our kids played.

Later, I thought about the controversy surrounding gay parents. Should they or shouldn't they be allowed to raise kids? Based on my observations, these two men are doing a wonderful job. Their little girl (who is actually the niece of the dads -- long story) lives with two men who absolutely and unconditionally love her. They support her, give her a stable and secure home, and give her plenty of space to become whoever she wants to be. What more could anyone ask for?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite sure why people are so set on managing how others live their lives. I get everyone has their own beliefs about what is proper, or whatever, but honestly, can we dictate what comprises a family? I like your piece for its honesty, and I appreciate the way you let the reader have a glimpse into your life. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete