"I'm going to
kick your butt after school."
Immediately, a cold
knot of fear formed in the pit of my stomach, echoing the chill of the cold
bathroom tile and porcelain around me. Karyn, the fifth-grade class bully, and
her posse of three stood before me, arms crossed, the challenge hanging, vaporous
venom in the air. Abruptly, they turned on their heels and vacated, leaving me
shocked and frozen by the row of heartless sinks and mirrors.
She's going to beat me up! my mind cried. No! It'll hurt! She'll hurt me! They all will!
In that moment, my fear erupted into a choked panic as I envisioned myself
bleeding from all facial orifices, bruised and shattered on the playground
until well after dusk, abandoned to my beaten shame. I took a deep breath and
forced myself back to the classroom.
As the afternoon
hours melted away, my panic ebbed as well and an emotionless rationale began to
take its place. I thought of how small Karyn was, easily four inches and ten
pounds lighter than I was. I remembered my dad showing my sister and me how to
box and our subsequent rounds of bloodied lips and bruised cheekbones that
occurred on the sly when Mom was still at work. My sister was bigger than
Karyn, and I could certainly hold my own against her. So maybe…Maybe there was
a chance I could beat up Karyn as well, as long as her minions didn't join in.
And, hey, I could
always run, right?
With each passage of
the minute hand past the hour, my resolution became even
stronger conviction. I would show up for the fight. I would hold my own.
I would run if necessary. That was the plan.
A few short minutes
after the final bell, I stood on the playground, a small crowd behind me. Kids
were pretending, of course, to have some sort of reason for staying on school
grounds: playing short games of tag or running over to the tires and back -- anything
to convince possible curious adults that there was no ill intent involved. I
did not partake in these activities. Rather, I stood completely still, my eye
on the doors to the school, awaiting the imminent butt-kicking.
But she never showed
up. None of them did.
And in that empty
moment, all Karyn's power as a bully was lost.
I like your descriptiveness and your word choice.
ReplyDelete