Another night seeps through the cracks, dripping darkness from cold fingers...
Maddie raises her head, a low growl brewing in her throat, the hackles on her yellow back raised in warning. Her owner sleeps on, oblivious to any threat. Yet Maddie can feel the silent whispers in the darkness, the screaming pleas from the past, the longing for someone to notice...
In the kitchen, a cabinet opens.
(Frustration. There is no doorway here. How can I get through?)
In the bedroom, the dog's low-motor growl continues to rumble. Maddie is torn; she wants to attack the being in the house, yet she must protect her owner.
Minutes slide by.
In the kitchen, the cabinet door closes. Another door opens.
(I can't find my way back! Just help me come in. I just want to come in...)
A light flickers on and off. A small dish moves two inches with a tremble.
Maddie hears a soft sigh in the darkness, and suddenly the air lightens. She stops growling, but stays attentive. Several minutes will pass before she lowers her head.
Her owner sleeps on, oblivious to the intrusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment