Author's Note: Inspired by Halloween, this poem takes on the mystery of life after death, whether eerie or full of sorrow. Since the holiday is one where the dead can allegedly cross over the realm of the living, I played on that idea.
In the silence
Only the wistful,
silken rustle intervenes
An intruder of wings
opening
Of
ancient gowns on forgotten stairways
Lost in the dust of
yester-year's shadows
In the silence
Cold reigns over
all,
Its
chilled fingers reaching, grasping
Every
inch of the graveyard dirt becomes its dominion
Clawing
for life in the abandoned crypts
And
the underground caverns of the tombs
In the silence
Stretched
thin by dimensions of sound and light
A
crack in the foundation
A
tear in the shroud
Births
a doorway, an opening between death and life
Let us in! Let us in! they cry in voiceless
whispers
In the silence
Wisps
caress our spirits, touch our lives
Though
we do not see them
We
feel their presence in the emptiness
In
the darkness
In
the silence
Mrs. Reagles,
ReplyDeleteThis is an incredible peace with great use of patterns! I loved how you started each paragraph with... "In the silence"... and you ended the entire piece with it as well. It added a great deal of suspense and it was really great. I also think you had really incredible word choice that created such an incredibly vivid image. Nice job, it was so good!
I really liked the word "yester-year".
ReplyDeleteGreat piece in word choice and it is also feels like you are really there
ReplyDelete