I don't remember much 'bout my mama. Only bits and pieces like the cool of her hands on my forehead whenever I was sick or her voice when she sung me those little tunes she made up. I remember she sang like an angel, with a face to match, all shining and pretty-like. Mostly I just recollect how it felt to be near her. Safe, somehow. And warm, like nothing could get at me if she was there.
After she died, my daddy come back for me. We packed what little I had into two plastic garbage bags and drove off to the city in his beat-up truck. That truck was rusted out and had splits in the seams of the seats, but my daddy loved it better'n me sometimes. Said that truck was more reliable than any person he'd done met, rusted out or not. I s'pose I didn't turn out any better than that truck, what with droppin' out of school and all and messin' up every job I took. That's why I left. Didn't seem like any reason to stay just to have my daddy givin' me the evil eye and tellin' me how worthless I was. I figured I was better off findin' my own way in the world than followin' his.
That's how come I ended up here, living in this little rented room with a job at the gas station. I know it ain't much, but it's a start. And someday I'm gonna be somebody. Somebody that don't need excuses made for them, that don't get sorry looks from people on account of having holes in their shoes. I'm gonna be somebody that holds their head up high but don't look down at nobody either. You just wait and see.
I loved reading this piece it is exclent i really like how you made the little girl so confident and i loved how you made her discribe things about her mother it is a great piece.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great story!
ReplyDeleteI was surprised on how it eneded and how her dad loved his truck more than his child. It was a wonderful piece!
ReplyDeleteInterstingly enough, I pictured the speaker as male instead of female. What made you think the speaker was a girl?
ReplyDeleteWell i can see how the speaker could be male but after reading the piece the first thing that came to my mind was a childs bond with his or her mother so i really don't know why i decided on the speaker to be female.
ReplyDeleteDoes that make sense?
I thought that the reader was a girl too. But anyways it was a really good story, and I like how you made it sound like how a kid would talk.
ReplyDelete