Monday, March 1, 2010

The Coffee Pot




At first glance, one would see only a nondescript building, a hole-in-the-wall with an interesting neon sign. At best, an outsider would be amused by this sight, instantly judging the establishment to be "a dive" or "too scary" to enter. One of my Pewaukee students even said, "Yeah, I'd go in there...with a bat."

Yes, at an outsider's glance, I suppose this strange little place might elicit a grimace. But to an insider, to any Kenosha resident, it's simply The Coffee Pot, a snug and cozy restaurant downtown with amazing homemade toast and wonderfully friendly servers.

Much of Kenosha is this way. Outsiders cannot see its charm; instead they see crowded buildings, old houses, sometimes dilapidated structures in need of renovation. What Kenoshans see, however, is the character underneath. The Coffee Pot is not "a dive" but an ideal place to relax and enjoy breakfast with old friends. The food is close to divine: stuffed French toast on Paielli's bread, omelettes cooked to order, a never-ending cup of coffee poured with a genuine smile. And that homemade toast? Like melted, buttery heaven.

As a current resident of Waukesha county, I can see Kenosha with an outsider's perspective, and I understand the initial blanching displeasure. Fortunately, though, as a born Kenoshan, I get to experience the city and its unique and wonderful treasures firsthand. I get to go beyond the first glance and see, really see, my hometown.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece, both because it is so well written, and because I have the same experience. The places I like to go in the city are the same way; we tend to judge so often by the outer appearances, and can miss out on great experiences when we don't take the risk of trying something new. This piece makes me want to go there the next time I'm in Kenosha!

    ReplyDelete