Darla wiped the telephone with her shirt before she picked it up. She liked clean, nice things, and did not trust the possible germs lingering on the mouthpiece.
"How are you, Darla?" The voice poured out from the earpiece, maple syrup concern with a dash of caring. It was Lolly's voice, the voice of reason and justice.
Darla fidgeted briefly, wondering how to say it. Finally she just blurted it out: "I'm in love!"
Silence met her declaration. Darla held her breath, waiting for Lolly's blessing, understanding that Lolly only wanted what was best for her. Finally, Lolly's patient voice asked quietly, "Who is he?"
"His name is Cliff. He's an absolute angel! He brings me things all the time, comes to see me every day. I swear, it's like he's always with me!"
The silence from the telephone thickened with worry. Darla hurried to fill it.
"Don't worry about a thing, Lolly. It's not like the other times."
"Darla, honey, I'm just wondering--"
"Well, don't! Cliff is a sweetheart, and he would never do me wrong."
"But, honey--"
"But nothing! We're so happy together!"
"Darla--"
"Oh, he's wonderful…I just wish he knew I existed."
"What?"
"I said, he's the reason I exist!"
"Darla, have you been taking your--"
"I've got to go now, Lolly. Cliff'll be waiting on me."
Darla replaced the telephone on the wall and looked briefly through the glass. Lolly gazed back at her, the phone still in her hand. Her ID badge glimmered faintly in the low fluorescent lights, reflecting the dull slate blue of Darla's jumpsuit. She just doesn't understand, Darla thought, and she walked toward the door.
A man opened the door for her. Darla beamed with happiness as she gazed up into his face.
"Thank you, Cliff," she purred.
"You're welcome," he answered. He took her by the arm and escorted her back to her cell.
This is a really good story!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this peice of writing. I really enjoyed how we thought that Darla was normal all the way through the story until the end where we learn her true identity. Great job! :)
ReplyDeleteWow. I like this story amongst the other 2. Its a simple short story. I like it! I liked how you wrote the dialoge on the phone call
ReplyDeleteTHis is a realy good story!
ReplyDeleteI really, really liked it, because I didn't get where it was going at first, but in the end I really liked it!
ReplyDeleteWOW! i didn't see that ending coming! I wasn't thinking that she would actually be in jail and Cliff wasn't actually the guys real name.
ReplyDelete