Monday, March 8, 2010

Frustration

I know, I know. You shouldn't let the actions of a handful of people spoil your view of the world in general. Trust me, I get this. And yet, my frustration level today is hitting the boiling point.

I suppose the focus of this liquid-hot-magma emotion does not really matter; what matters is that obviously I care enough to get angry.

So what does it come down to? Potential...and wasting it. I see so many writers every year who light up when they meet a goal, who strive to conquer a new challenge. Yes, these are the moments that I savor. These are the moments that leave me breathless with encouragement.

The darker side, of course, are the writers who fail. They fail to believe in themselves, fail to see their potential, let alone reach out and grasp it tightly, declaring, "This is mine!" The writers who fail do so because they do not see the point, do not see the purpose, and I am struggling to enlighten them. The writers who fail use 60 minutes to write only a sentence or two on a rough draft, then shrug their shoulders in defeat, muttering, "I dunno" as an explanation.

Do you see, then, why my frustration level hovers near the red zone? And have you any suggestions as to how I can reach these writers who are so determined to fail?

2 comments:

  1. I think I do, try to comprehend more of the meaning of the story rather than just reading it for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being one of those I dunno students at times. The only thing that I could think of is I can't keep this up, I can't go though life on undone papers. In addition 7th grade is the only grade that you can say, I dunno and there is nothing to serious that will happen to you. My advice to all of the seventh graders is that you must start good habits now or your grades will come back to haunt you.

    ReplyDelete